Threat of Fire Cuts - Leave Balmossie Fire Station Alone


Tayside Fire & Rescue Board considering the Balmossie downgrade in 2009
As Labour's Fire and Rescue spokesperson in Dundee I am concerned to hear about funding problems for the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.  I think that before any cuts are implemented local elected representatives should have at the very least be consulted.  I have made clear my support for the excellent work done by firefighters in our communities and the excellent work done by Tayside Fire & Rescue Service  and now by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.  I am proud to have played my part in twice ensuring the Balmossie Fire Station was not downgraded
 
 
I was disappointed to read about funding problems for the Fire and Rescue Service.  I think that it is important that the Scottish Government looks for ways to protect the budget of the Fire and Rescue Service.  The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service protects all of us and needs to be properly funded.  In 2009 and 2010 I was a member the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board and in each of those years the board voted against proposals to downgrade Balmossie Fire Station.  I want to make clear my view that two very clear local democratic decisions have been made with regard to Balmossie Fire Station within recent memory and that it would be a travesty if this issue was revisited in the near future.  I am also clear that areas should not be played off against each other, if there is a need for investment elsewhere we must ensure that is considered on its own merits.
 
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is doing a good job in our communities protecting us every day of the year.  I think that the Scottish Government and other local representatives need to look at ways in which we can give support to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.  I also think that it is very important that any major decisions about local services are subject to robust local scrutiny, including with democratically elected representatives.