Recycling Changes in Dundee

As many people will be aware Dundee City Council is in the process of changing its recycling regimes across the city.  We need to move forward and make progress and deliver changes which will improve the environment of our city.  These changes will have a profound impact across the city, with just about everyone in the city experiencing changes over the next couple of years.

I have always had some concerns that the council is not consulting about proposals rather it is implementing changes and holding information events.  I am concerned that if the people of Dundee have not 'bought into' these changes then we may face problems with implementation.

At the Environment Committee tonight I asked for an update on the progress of the implementation of these changes.  I was slightly disappointed that the Convener told me that the committee was not the place for such a discussion.  He did however, give a commitment to arrange for briefings for councillors on this important issue.  I am clear that I want to see these changes work and I look forward to receiving further details.