Procurement Policy

This week Dundee City Council considered a very worthy procurement policy (pages 39-50 of the pdf).    I have often made the point that the council should recognise the economic power it has through procurement and use the collective power of Dundee citizens' money to achieve social, economic, environmental and community benefit.

Over the last few years we have passed a number of policies on important issues like Fairtrade, the Living Wage, against Blacklisting and in support of more training and the promotion of health and safety.

I generally welcomed the policy presented to the council but what I was concerned about was how do councillors know that the policy has been applied.  I am concerned that we talk the talk but essentially that procurement decisions are only made on the basis of cost.  Cost and value for money for the council-taxpayer is important but it should not be the only criteria on which contracts are let.

I put forward an amendment to the council's policy which says that officers will now have to show how they considered the impact of the tender on the social, economic, environmental and community goals of the council.  I was pleased that my amendment was agreed to and I will be looking to work with officers of the council to ensure that the most rigorous standards are applied on this.  As they say the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.