Tennis Investment Welcomed by Dundee Labour


Dundee City Council has responded to pressure from Dundee Labour amongst others to improve tennis facilities in the city.  I welcome the moves to improve tennis provision in the city. Like everyone else I think that we need to build on the success of Andy Murray and promote this popular sport in the city. I will be keeping a close eye on progress. I am pleased that the campaign from Labour led by Jenny Marra MSP has borne fruit.
It is crucial that Dundee wins the bid to get the National Performance Centre which will gives us a tennis centre in the west of the city. I hope that the council is pulling out all of the stops to win this bid. However if the city is unsuccessful then there needs to be a plan B to ensure that there are tennis facilities in the west of the city. It seems to me that South Road park would be an ideal location to develop as a centre for tennis. 

You can watch the video above to find out more about tennis in the city and Labour's campaign to have the tennis facilities in the city improved.
 
My colleague Jenny Marra MSP has worked hard on this issue and has met with Tennis Scotland to push for investment in Dundee.  You can read her views below:
 
“I’m delighted that Dundee City Council has listened to Labour’s campaign for better tennis facilities for Dundee.
“I started this campaign last summer after Andy Murray’s tennis success because I want children in Dundee to have as many opportunities as possible to fulfil their potential and get involved in sport.
“The Victorians put tennis courts in parks across Dundee but so many of them have fallen into disrepair. It’s not too much to ask to have decent sports facilities across our city and that is why today’s news is very welcome.
“I’m especially pleased that the Council is resurfacing the tennis court in Lochee. Lochee’s court is in the worst condition of all and it is not good enough for children in Menzieshill, Charleston and Lochee to have substandard facilities. I look forward to the opening of the new court and seeing children playing more sport. It’s so important for their health, fitness and confidence.
“I’ll be paying close attention to the progress of the Council’s plan to improve facilities right across the City. If the Victorians had the foresight for good sports facilities, it doesn’t seem too much to ask to make sure they are in good condition for our children today. Dundee City Council’s news is very welcome.”