Police, Fire and Community Safety - Policy and Resources Committee

Monday evening saw the latest meeting of the council's Policy and Resources Committee which focuses on police, fire and community safety.  These committee meetings have come about as a result of the police and fire reform process.  In my opinion it is essential that some form of robust local scrutiny must be maintained.

Monday's evening saw some interesting reports.  Under the Dundee Community Safety Partnership Commissioning budget I highlighted the £5,000 being allocated to Fire Risk Environmental clean-ups.  I welcomed this proactive effort to reduce the number of malicious fires by removing combustible material from communities in the city.  I pointed out that a number of constituents had raised concerns with me that changes to the recycling centres in the city will lead to an increase in fly-tipping.  I was concerned that this had not been factored into the policy considerations about this, but I was pleased to hear that if there is a problem with fly-tipping then this budget will be increased to deal with the issue.


I was also pleased to see the final Annual Public Performance Report of the former Tayside Fire and Rescue Board.  As a former member of the board I was pleased to see what had been achieved by the Tayside Fire and Rescue Service in its last year.  I think that in some ways this is a challenge to the new Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.  It has a lot to live up to at least maintain the service delivered in Tayside.  I was pleased to be told that the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service will be looking to report in such detail to the council about their performance in Dundee next year.  I believe that openness and transparency are important for effective scrutiny and also that effective local and national scrutiny will deliver a better service for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and the people of Scotland.