77 years too long to wait for International Match

 
I was delighted that the Scotland team won in Aberdeen against Estonia last week.  I believe that it is time for Scotland to end the 77 year wait and play a full international match in Dundee for the first time since 1936.
 
It was great to see Scotland win the match against Estonia in Aberdeen.  I think it is good that not all Scotland matches are played in Glasgow these days.  In recent years Scotland have played in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock; it's astonishing that there hasn't been a full international match in Dundee since 1936.
 
Sadly, it is highly unlikely that anyone who witnessed that match against Wales in December 1936 is still with us, although I would be delighted to hear from anyone who was at the match.  It is so long ago that King Edward VIII was still the king and the Abdication crisis was just beginning.  It is so long ago that Dundee had a Tory MP.  It is surely time that Dundee was considered as a host for an international match.
 
Dundee has excellent facilities and I hope that soon the National Football Academy which my colleague Jenny Marra is leading the campaign on will bring even better facilities to the city.  It would be good for the economy of the city to be able to showcase our great city to an international audience.  An international match would bring visitors to the city and would bring benefits to the economy.  I think that Dundee has a very strong case to be UK City of Culture in 2017 and I think that football has been a very strong part of the culture of the city and that it would be appropriate to host an international football match as part of our celebration of culture in that year.  It would be good to host an international match before then as well.
 
I will be contacting the SFA and asking to meet with them and make the case for our great city hosting an international match in the near future.  I think that a 77 year wait has been too long already.
 
You can see me making the case for an international match in Dundee on the STV news here, (report starts at 11.11 minutes)