Cashless Schools

On Wednesday I  moved a motion at the City Council's Scrutiny Committee calling for the council to bring forward a report to make schools cashless. The Scrutiny Committee was considering a report on the 'Processes and Systems in Place for the Management of Cash within Schools'. This report came forward as a result of the misappropriation of cash with a school in the city.  I amended the report to ensure that a report will be brought forward which will look at how smart-card technology can be used to move towards a scenario where money is all but eliminated from schools.

I am concerned that money being handled in schools can lead to problems such as the misappropriation of cash, or bullying of young people for their money, or young people being stigmatised for not having money. I had received a briefing from council officers which stated that the council could use the smart-card technology available to it a lot more and do more things and innovate. I was pleased that there was cross party support for my idea at the Scrutiny Committee and that Councillor Jimmy Black seconded my idea.


I think we could get to a point where no child has to take cash to school, when all meals could be paid for using a smart card. Where schools trips and other incidental expenses could be paid for using a smart card. I think that there is a lot of scope here to improve security as well as eliminating any stigmas associated with having access to events subsidised, for example. The technology might not be ready just yet but I think that we should have as our long-term goal creating a cashless environment in our schools. I am looking forward to a report being brought forward to the Education Committee in the near future.