Michael Marra

I was very pleased that at last night's meeting of Dundee City Council that the Lord Provost opened the meeting by paying tribute to the late Michael Marra.  This was a very nice touch from the Lord Provost and I could only agree with him that 'Michael's songs will live on as will his memory.'  On behalf of the Labour Group I paid tribute to Dundee's 'bard'.  I also pointed out that this might well be a great loss to the artistic community but it is more importantly a great loss to his family.  I also said that I thought that it would be appropriate for there to be a lasting memorial to Michael Marra in the city of Dundee.  I noted that the Marra family have set up a trust in his memory and that they would like to see the El Sistema project come to Dundee.  This would be a fitting tribute in my opinion.

It was more than appropriate that the City Council concluded its tribute with a round of applause for someone who has written and sang so eloquently about our city.