Development Management Committee

Tonight saw the end of council's recess with  a meeting of the Development Management Committee.  You can read the agenda here.  There was an application for a new office building in Peddie Street.  I asked the agent for applicant a number of questions about car parking issues.  I pointed out that this area is very busy with cars during the university term.  I supported the refusal of this application because I felt it did detract from the surrounding area.

There was also a bizarre debate about the percentage of food and other goods which Sainsbury's in Broughty Ferry can sell.  Sainsbury's is limited to 90% food sales and 10% of other goods.  Sainsbury's wanted to sell 70% food and 30% other goods.  It was revealed that the company have broken an agreement which they made when the supermarket was built.  I voted against Sainsbury's being allowed to change the proportions of goods they sold.  I feel that it should be clearly understood that Dundee City Council is serious about the planning agreements which it enters in to.