Olympic Torch in Dundee

I was really pleased to join some 26,000 others to celebrate the Olympic Torch coming to Dundee.  I started off in the City Square where my daughter and her gymnastics club were performing a display.  Unfortunately, this was somewhat curtailed by adverse weather, thankfully though the rain mostly stayed away from Baxter Park.

It was great to see so many people at Baxter Park.  There was a real sense of community.  It was clear that many many people are excited about the prospect of the Olympic Games coming to this country.  The entertainment in Baxter Park was good and Emeli Sande certainly went down well with everyone around me.

I am looking forward to the Olympic Games and it was great to see the Olympic flame here in Dundee tonight.  It was certainly an historic event for the city.  It will be a long time before the Olympic Games come to the UK again. 

I was at the Civic Reception after the event and it was great to speak to Kian who lit the Olympic cauldron in Baxter Park as well as Ronnie McIntosh, who is a double amputee, and who also carried the torch, what a great day for them and for everyone who carried the torch today.

I would like to pay tribute to everyone who made today's events happen.  The City Council did a lot to make these events happen and it was good to see the public sector delivering a great event for the people of Dundee.