Welcome for Movement on Dundee Station



I welcome movement on improving Dundee Station. The SNP Administration brought forward proposals to the very last meeting of the current council to be held on 23rd April 2012.



I have long been campaigning for this investment in my ward. It is essential that Dundee has a rail station which is fit for purpose in the twenty-first century. I am pleased that progress is being made at long last. Regenerating our city is important and the whole Waterfront development will go some way towards doing this. Improving the station will have an impact on people across the city and will also give visitors to our city a warm welcome. The current station is a very poor advert for our great city. I am glad that the plans suggest keeping much of the Victorian infrastructure at platform level, I have to say though that these could do with a little bit of a revamp and I hope that this will be included in the project.



I call upon Network Rail to invest in our city and in the rail infrastructure of our country and come up with the final £2.2 million to make the project possible.


We should be investing in the rail network and supporting greater use of Dundee Station. I was glad when the Scottish Government recently scrapped their daft plan not to have through trains to or from Dundee to England. We also need to promote new services, such as the Tay Estuary Rail Scheme and we need to look at more regular services to Scotland's other cities. I hope that the refurbished station will be a transport hub for the city and that it will have much better links with the City Centre and West End than at present. I hope it will have better links with buses than at present and I hope that taxis will be catered for in the new station.



I hope that this overdue investment in our city will happen sooner rather than later and that it will be a great success for our city.


The photograph shows Jim McGovern MP and myself campaigning for improvements to the station.