Scrutiny Committee

On Wednesday I attended the latest meeting of the Scrutiny Committee. There were a number of interesting reports put before the committee. I asked about self-evaluation in schools. I have noticed that this is an issue that comes up a lot in HMI reports on schools. I was told that this was an issue right across the country and that the Education Department was working on this issue across all of Dundee's schools.

I asked about problems in dealing with noise nuisance. I was concerned to hear that staffing problems had led to problems in dealing timeously with this issue. I sought an assurance that this problem would be solved.

There was a report on the risks posed by asbestos in the council's properties. I was pleased to be given an assurance that the council is confident that it knows where asbestos is present in its buildings.