Tayside Police Joint Board



This morning I attended a meeting of Tayside Police Joint Board. You can see the agenda here. There was much discussion on some of the issues which face the police service as the Scottish Government moves towards a single national police force. We also set the budget for Tayside Police for 2012/13. In light of recent reports I asked about the use of police officers to do tasks which have previously been undertaken by police staff. I favour keeping police officer numbers up but it is not right that highly trained and resourced police officers should be utilised in roles where there is no need to be a police officer. One of the main trade unions representing police staff Unison has raised concerns about threats to the number of police staff and whether this is having an impact on the deployment of police officers. My colleague Jenny Marra MSP has raised her concerns about this as Scottish Labour Community spokesperson. I was told that there is only one post in Tayside which has been permanently filled by a police officer having previously been filled by a member of police staff.

There was a report on how Tayside Police are dealing with 999 calls and non-emergency calls. Tayside's response rate is below the Scottish average. I made the point that whilst we need take speed of response seriously it is important also that calls are dealt with appropriately.

I was very interested to see from the Operational Policing report that efforts are being made to deal with the trafficking of drugs through Dundee Railway Station. I hope that the partnerships between Tayside Police and British Transport Police continue to protect the community in Dundee and all users of Dundee Station. I was also interested to read about Operation Matterhorn which is dealing with the supply of drugs in Lochee and Charleston and surrounding areas. This is an important issue which needs to be dealt with and which has an impact on my ward. I know that my colleague Councillor Tom Ferguson is working very hard to deal with such issues.