British Newspaper Archive




I studied the history of Dundee for my PhD, this meant, bizarrely, that I had to spend months at the British Newspaper Library at Colindale in north London. There is a marvelous collection there which includes some Dundee newspapers which are not available in Dundee.








I certainly enjoyed my trips to London and I have nothing but praise for the staff at Colindale. Not sure that the trips on London Underground's Northern Line deserve praise though.








There is now a really exciting project underway which will digitise the newspaper collection. For me the most exciting part of this project is that it is being done by a company based in the West End of Dundee, brightsolid.








This is a really interesting project and it is great that it has been developed in Dundee. It is great that a Dundee based company is delivering such an important national, even international, project.








You can visit the British Newspaper Archive here, there is a cost involved in most searches but this will be a great service for historians in the future.








There is actually a great collection of newspapers available in the local history library in the Central Library in the Wellgate in Dundee.


Well done to everyone concerned with this great project.