Future of Community Councils

Research has been published on the BBC website which shows that 'Scotland's Community Council network is dying.'



In my ward in the West End we have a very active Community Council. I think that this makes the West End a better place and certainly on a number of community issues they hold local elected members to account. I was very disappointed to hear that Dundee has the lowest level of active community councils in Scotland. There are a variety of historic reasons for this but I will be asking the City Council what they are doing to ensure that more Community Councils are active in the city.



I think that local government and importantly the Scottish Government should be supporting Community Councils. I know that the Association of Scottish Community Councils is to close next year over lack of on-going financial support from the Scottish Government. We need to develop more local accountability not let it wither on the vine.