Congratulations to Michael D Higgins




I am really pleased that the Labour candidate in the Irish Presidential Election, Michael D Higgins has been successful. Michael D is a really interesting character, who has already achieved much in his time in politics. I think that his election is interesting for those of us in Scottish Labour. Michael D has won in a political culture where constitutional issues have traditionally dominated the political discourse. It is interesting that promoting social justice in this context has allowed Michael D to win this election. I am sure that whilst this election is clearly in a very different context to Scotland there are still some interesting lessons which could be learned. I am sure that Michael D Higgins will be a President who will do Ireland proud. I would like to wish him well for his time in Áras an Uachtaráin.