Single Fire Service Should be based in Dundee



Along with my colleague Jenny Marra MSP I have called for the proposed single Fire and Rescue Service to be based in Dundee. I previously made this call at the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board meeting in March. The case for a single service being headquartered in Dundee is strong in my opinion. It is important that if there is a single fire and rescue service that the message is sent out loud and clear that it is not about centralisation in the central belt.






Dundee would be a great location as it is within easy reach of the majority of the Scottish population. Tayside Fire and Rescue already has a headquarters building in Dundee and I am sure that this could be utilised. Labour only supports the single fire service as long as the savings are re-invested in frontline services.


If you want to read the Scottish Government's consultation document on the single police and fire services it can be found here.