School Heritage Trips- What about Dundee?



I welcome the Scottish Government's announcement of continued funding for the Heritage Education Travel Subsidy. The Heritage Education Travel Subsidy provides support for schools to visit the Robert Burns' Birthplace Museum, the New Lanark World Heritage Site, Bannockburn and Edinburgh and Stirling Castles. All of these sites are well worth a visit but I wonder whether a broader approach should not be taken.


I welcome this funding for historical trips, I think that all of these sites are well worth a visit. As a Labour and Co-operative Councillor I would particularly welcome visits to New Lanark to learn about the work of Robert Owen. However, I think that this list is too prescriptive and that schools should be allowed to decide which historical sites and museums they wish to visit. Schools should look at how this fits in with their locality and with the issues which they are studying. In Dundee I would say that you cannot understand our city without some knowledge of the jute industry. Therefore I would like to see Verdant Works included in this scheme.


I will be writing to the Scottish Government asking that they look at broadening the criteria for this scheme.