Public Use for Camperdown House



I'm calling for a sustainable, long-term, public use to be found for Camperdown House. Part of the House was open to the public during last weekend's Flower and Food Festival.


I was really pleased that Camperdown House was open to the public as part of this year's Flower and Food Festival. I heard many people say that they wished that this was a permanent situation. I have contacted the managing director of the new trust Leisure and Culture Dundee to ask for an update on progress on this issue. I accept that these are difficult economic times and that any efforts to have Camperdown House open to the public would have to be commercially viable but I do think that we should be working towards this.



Camperdown Park is great place to visit with its golf course, wildlife centre, play area and parkland I think that if a viable use could be found for Camperdown House it would be a feather in the cap of park. Camperdown House is an important part of the history of the city and indeed has a role to play in the wider history of the United Kingdom and indeed Europe with the estate having first been owned by the victor of the Battle of Camperdown.



I am looking forward to hearing what the plans are for the house and hope that progress can be made to get it back into public use on a more regular basis.






For more information about Camperdown House, the Duncan family and the Battle of Camperdown please visit the very interesting website of the Friends of Camperdown House.