Hiroshima Anniversary

On Saturday evening I joined a hardy band of local people to march up the Law to mark the anniversary of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima. I am opposed to nuclear weapons and think that it is important to reflect on the impact of the bombing of Hiroshima. I believe that using nuclear weapons or threatening to use nuclear weapons is immoral. My views were outlined in the Scotsman in 2007 when I was the National Secretary of Justice and Peace Scotland, these arguments were from the viewpoint of Catholic social teaching but I also believe that there are many, many secular arguments against nuclear weapons. My colleague and friend Cathy Jamieson has made many of these arguments in an article in Saturday's Guardian.

It is important that we consider the moral issues around nuclear weapons and especially whether Trident should be replaced. It was good to take part in Saturday's event and to listen to Jenny Marra MSP, Sandy Constable, Rev Allan Webster, Shiona Baird and Mary Henderson, well done to those who organised the event.