City Council and Committees

Monday evening saw the first batch of City Council and service committee meetings. You can find the agendas here.

In the Social Work and Health Committee I was pleased to support a motion which would have stopped elected members from attending the conference. I was disappointed that the Administration pushed this expenditure through. At a time when the council is looking for savings and asking staff to basically do more work for the same rate of pay, I think that it is very hard to justify spending over £400 on sending a councillor to a conference. I think that it is possible that councillors could learn from attending conferences but I also think that we need to be telling conference organisers that their costs are ridiculous and that these should be looked at. If there is information which it is important that we know then senior officers should make sure that we are made aware of that information.

On the Policy and Resources Committee I asked about a very interesting report which had been prepared by the Yusuf Youth Initiative on youth work support needs for black and minority ethnic young people in Dundee. I wanted to know what was being done to ensure that the recommendations will be followed up. I will be keeping a close eye on this matter as I think that it is important that the council does all it can to meet the needs of all of Dundee's young people.