Rowan Williams



I think that comments made by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams in the New Statesman are very interesting. These remarks have been reported mostly as attacks on the Coalition Government but it worth pointing out that there are also criticisms of the left and Labour in his remarks. I do think that the Coalition's policies will have an impact on society and that the full implications need to be examined. One of my previous jobs was for a faith-based charity and campaigning body, Justice and Peace Scotland, therefore I do think that churches and faith-based bodies and church leaders do have a right to make their views heard on the issues of the day. I will not always agree with them but I will not deny them the right to have their say. I think that it is worth examining the views of the Archbishop and responding to them rather than discussing whether he has a right to have a view.