Northern Rock should be remutualised



I am really disappointed that George Osborne has decided to sell-off Northern Rock. I think that this is a mistake. I have supported the re-mutualisation Northern Rock since it was nationalised. Northern Rock was successful as a mutual building society but failed as a privatised bank. I support the Co-operative Party's campaign The Feeling's Mutual. If you want banks or financial institutions which put people's interests first then the feeling's mutual.






In Dundee we see the state-owned Royal Bank of Scotland abandoning local people but planning to close branches in Lochee High Street and at Ninewells Hospital. I think mutualisation would be a good outcome for the Royal Bank of Scotland and would put the interests of people first rather than the interests of shareholders.