Concern over falling masonry

I am very concerned about falling masonry after masonry fell from a tenement on the Perth Road in the West End (above Clancy's Bar). I'll be seeking reassurances from council officials that everything is being done to ensure that buildings are kept safe.


I am relieved that no-one was injured in this incident, but this is only because of the time of night that it occurred. This rubble could have fallen onto people using the White Top Centre or people going in or out of Clancy's Bar. I will be seeking a briefing from council officers about the general issue and asking how we ensure that buildings are kept in a safe condition. I know that this is the responsibility of owners but the council has a regulatory role and prevention is, by far, the best option.



On Monday evening the City Council considered a report on the condition of privately owned properties in the city and this highlighted that many are in a poor state of repair. I hope that this will not mean that there are more incidents such as the one on the Perth Road. The safety of the public has to be a priority.