Friends of the Earth Hustings

I was pleased to attend the hustings organised by Friends of the Earth Tayside and Transition Town Dundee, held in Dundee West Church. I am clear that we need to examine the environmental impact of all policies. Scottish Labour has set out our priorities here. I am a member of SERA, the Labour environmental campaign. I think that co-operative models tend to be more sustainable. Locally I want to see improvements to the bus service and I think that we need to have greater regulation of bus services. I am also campaigning for a regular, local train service in the Tay Estuary. I also got the chance to restate my opposition to the proposed Biomass Plant at the Waterfront. I still do not understand why the council's decision on this was not decided at the Development Management Committee. If I had been successful, it would have meant that there was a public inquiry, I wonder what those backing the scheme have to fear from a public inquiry? I remain concerned about the emissions from this proposed plant. I also have grave concerns about the impact on the developing world of sourcing wood from all parts of the globe to bring it to Dundee to burn it. I don't understand why the SNP Group on the council voted to agree to this project going forward with a few conditions to be met rather than support moves which would have resulted in a public inquiry