RAF Leuchars threat to Dundee Economy


I welcome moves by Dundee City Council to support RAF Leuchars. RAF Leuchars is under threat of closure, previously I raised my concerns about the knock-on effect of this to the City of Dundee.


I am pleased that the council is being asked to take a stance on this issue that is one of the things I was asking for when I raised the issue with the Chief Executive in December. Whilst it is outwith the remit of the City Council I am concerned about securing the best possible defence of the United Kingdom and I would hope that any decision on air bases will not compromise the defence of the nation.



I am very aware that any changes to RAF Leuchars have a potentially adverse impact on Dundee's economy. I am sure that many Dundee businesses do business with the base or its associated personnel. I am worried about Dundee jobs. I am also concerned that rumours that Leuchars could be turned into a commercial airport would have a detrimental impact on Dundee Airport. Although I accept that overall it might be good for Dundee but this would need to be examined in some detail.



I have written the the Secretary of State for Defence Dr Liam Fox MP and I am currently awaiting a response from him. I think that we should be clear that the threatened closure of RAF Leuchars would have a serious impact on Dundee and for these reasons we should be supporting the campaign to keep the base open.