Dundee Carers Centre


On Monday along with a number of other council colleagues I was pleased to visit the Dundee Carers Centre. It was a good opportunity to hear about the work of the centre and to visit their new premises in Argyll House. 1in 8 of the population are carers. Thee are almost 660,000 carers in Scotland; over 115,000 care for over 50 hours a week. There are over 100,000 young carers aged 3-18 years in Scotland; 21% spend 30-39 hours per week caring. There are more carers than the total health and social care workforce. Replacing the care provided by unpaid carers would cost three quarters of the total NHS budget in Scotland - £7.68 billion each year.
I think that we need to work to help support carers who make such a difference in our society. I would want to place on record my appreciation of all the work done by carers. I will certainly be reading the Carers Manifesto for the 2011 elections.
I recognise that carers play an invaluable role in supporting those they care for to live in their own homes and to participate in the local community. This contribution should be recognised by fair rules and support. Labour plans to do this after the elections in May.