Abertay Debate

On Monday afternoon I was very pleased to take part in a debate for first year students at the University of Abertay Dundee. I was debating with the current Dundee West MSP Joe FitzPatrick the motion that 'It is time for Scotland to become an independent country'.

I made clear my thoughts that if the people of Scotland ever expressed a preference for independence then they should get it. My main point was that I believe that independence is a distraction which stops government's focusing on the real issues of jobs, prosperity, education, health and housing. I pointed out that the SNP-led Scottish Government was not promoting Independence.

This was a welcome opportunity to welcome people to the city and also to university.

I was pleased that my proposition that now is not the time for independence won the day.