Delighted at Cross-Party Support for Jobs Call

I welcome Cross-Party support for the call for jobs and investment for Dundee. I moved an amendment to the council's Single Outcome Agreement Delivery Plan 2010/12 which was accepted by the Council's Policy and Resources Committee on Monday evening.


I am delighted that the council put its political differences to one side and united to make its voice heard calling for jobs and investment for Dundee. This is the most important thing we can do to promote the city. We need jobs to secure prosperity for the people of Dundee. I look forward to seeing how the Dundee Partnership will deal with this important issue.


Moving the amendment at the Policy and Resources Committee on Monday evening I said, 'I welcome this report but I would like to see more emphasis being put on jobs. Getting Dundee working is the way to boost the economy and also a way to maintain public services.'



'I think that the Dundee Partnership should work towards a cross party multi-agency, short life, working group to look at the issue of jobs. We must do all that we can to promote work in the city. We should also be making the point to the Scottish Government and to the UK Government that jobs are our priority and that we want them to support us on this. For example I would like to see both governments committed to moving government jobs away from Edinburgh and London. There certainly used to be cross party support for that and also I would like to see the UK Government reconsider its decision not to implement Labour's plans for tax breaks for the computer games industry.'



'This is the most important issue facing Dundee today; we should join together and make our voices heard in unison calling for jobs and investment in Dundee.'

My amendment was as follows:

'It is further recommended that the Council proposes to community planning partners that a multi-agency, cross-party, short-life working group is established under the auspices of the Dundee Partnership to promote jobs in the City of Dundee and to lobby the Scottish Government and the UK Government to bring jobs and investment to the City of Dundee.'