New Politics?

As I have already said, whilst I clearly do not support the new UK Government I wish it all the very best of luck. I support a great deal of reform of our political system, I am an active member of the Labour Campaign for Electoral Reform for example, I am attracted to the idea of fixed term parliaments. I think that we need to look at this is some more detail though. The UK is a parliamentary democracy, the government needs to have the support of a majority in parliament. I am confused as to how the other side of the fixed-term parliaments proposals being brought forward include a lock for a government to continue without a majority in parliament on a vote of confidence. The BBC is reporting that under the proposals as they stand just now if every Conservative MP voted to keep a Tory government and every other MP voted against which would be a clear majority against the Government would not fall. This seems to me to be neither very liberal nor very democratic. Perhaps the Tories are going to ditch the Lib Dems as soon as they get this piece of legislation through.