Welcome for Police Secure Letter Boxes


Today I welcome the initiative of Tayside Police to place secure letter boxes in community libraries in Lochee and the West End. I attended this morning's launch of this scheme in Lochee Library.


I welcome the work which Tayside Police are doing to ensure that they are as accessible as possible to the public. The secure letter boxes allow local people to tell the police about any concerns they have, anonymously if they wish. I think that the community surgeries which the police held recently are to be welcomed and I think that this scheme is also good. Local people with issues they wish to raise with the police should get in touch with the police; they can call the non-emergency number 0300 1112222; they can stop a police officer in the street; they can visit a police station; or they can visit a community surgery or make use of these secure letter boxes.


For the West End I am glad that there is a secure letter box in Blackness Library and for the northern part of the ward there is a letter box in Lochee Library. If this scheme is a success I would like to see more of these secure letter box and one place I would like to see one would be the Mitchell Street Centre.