Concern over promotion of graffiti

As I have pointed out often on this site I am a member of the board of DCA. I am proud of what DCA has achieved and I have often pointed to it as a tangible legacy of previous Labour-led councils in Dundee. I was concerned to hear that DCA's twitter page was running a competition about street art which included looking for the best graffiti tags in Dundee. The story is reported in tonight's Evening Telegraph.

Clearly some graffiti has artistic merit but - and this is big but - graffiti spoils areas. It has a major impact on the community and causes a lot of heartache. I have spoken to a number of people in the West End over the last few weeks when their house or properties near by have been attacked by graffiti, these people have been genuinely upset by the problems which this causes them. I have spoken to the Director of the DCA and he has reassured me that this competition has been stopped and that he hopes that their will be no re-occurrence of this.

I am continuing to work closely with council colleagues, local people and council officers to work against the scourge of graffiti.