Commiserations to Andy Murray


Like many people I watched Andy Murray's brave attempt to win the Australian Open yesterday. Well done to Roger Federer who is a worthy champion but in this country we should be proud of Murray's efforts. He put up a brave fight and has played exceptionally well during this tournament. I am sure he will win a grand slam one day - well I hope he will anyway.


The response to Andy Murray over the last couple of weeks and especially when he got to the final has demonstrated how important sport can be. Yesterday as I was walking about the West End I saw a number of young people playing tennis. As a politician I think that this proves that even in these difficult financial times we need to be serious about investing in sport.


You can read about Andy Murray's match with Federer on the BBC website, or you can find out more on Andy Murray's website.