Concern over Victoria Park

Today I expressed my ongoing concern about proposals to use Victoria Park for physical education classes for the proposed new schools in the West End.


I want to provide young people in the West End with the best educational facilities possible. I look forward to taking part in the discussions to take forward the proposals for a replacement for St Joseph's Primary and Park Place Primary and Nursery schools.'

I am concerned that the Leisure and Communities Department of the City Council know nothing about the plans to use Victoria Park for school use. If these new schools use Victoria Park then this will change the nature of the park. This proposal needs to be examined in great detail before it is brought forward. Victoria Park is popular with local people in the West End and is well used. Using part of it exclusively for educational purposes may impact on local people's use of the park and I want to be sure that their views are taken on board as well as the views of the educational stakeholders.

I have read the report approved by the City Council's Education Committee (274-2009) which sets out how progress will be made on this proposal and at no point is Victoria Park mentioned I would like to know where this proposal came from? If the City Council's Education Committee is not in charge of education policy I would like to know which organisation is?


Report 274-2009 can be read here
http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/reports/reports/274-2009.pdf

When asked in November about these proposals I was informed by the Director of Leisure and Communities that he knew of 'no such plans'.

At the last meeting of the Leisure, Arts and Communities Committee on 7th December the Convener stated that there were no plans to divest the department of any parks.