Concern over inclusion of Balmossie in Fire Proposals


As I have said elsewhere I attended a meeting of the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board this morning. I raised my concerns about the inclusion of plans for changes to the service at Balmossie and Forfar fire stations. My concerns centre on the fact that a very similar proposal was rejected by the board in March of this year after the public made their views known in an extensive consultation. You can read the minutes of the March meeting here. I think that it is essential that people who take part in consultation processes should know that their views will be listened to and that their views matter. I issued the press release below.

Concern over inclusion of Balmossie in Fire Proposals

Councillor Richard McCready today made known his views on Tayside Fire and Rescue Board's proposals to make changes at Balmossie and Forfar Fire Stations. Councillor McCready is a member of Tayside Fire and Rescue Board and seconded a motion today which would have deleted references to Balmossie and Forfar from this year's Towards a Safer Tayside Document. He is disappointed that this move was defeated and that a number of Dundee councillors voted against this motion.

Councillor Richard McCready said, 'Last year the Fire and Rescue Board had a major success when there was a record response to the consultation. I also think that this made people think about the Fire Board and hopefully fire safety issues. I have made clear my views about this issue. In March of this year I think that the board made a clear decision. As we all know the public holds politicians and public bodies in a degree of contempt at the present time. I think by appearing keen to overturn a decision so recently made, made in part in response to the views of the public, we are making a mistake. This is not a party political issue. For myself I agree with Stewart Hosie MP when he said that March's decision on Balmossie 'was the right decision in the interests of community safety.' Whilst I am happy for the people of Tayside to make their views known in the consultation and I would urge them to do so I feel that the proposals for Balmossie should not go forward. In my view it is premature to bring this proposal forward.'

'I am disappointed by the outcome of today's vote. Now it is essential that people right across Tayside take part in this consultation and let the members of the Fire and Rescue Board know their views. The public's voice was clear last year I will be interested to see what has changed this year. I agree with Stewart Hosie's view that this issue was dealt with earlier this year and that this should not have been brought back so soon. It is a shame that Mr Hosie's city council colleagues did not agree with him.'