Scrutiny Committee

This afternoon saw the second meeting of the City Council's Scrutiny Committee. You can read the agenda on the City Council's website or by clicking above.

A range of interesting reports came forward. I asked a number of questions about these reports. The Scrutiny Committee is still finding its feet but it is clear that it should be a forum for constructive discussion about the delivery of council services.

I was most interested in a report about East Port House, which is a facility which is a probation/parole service. This was a very positive report and I sought to learn what lessons we could from this good performance. One area which I think requires further investigation is partnership working. Councils are encouraged, even compelled, to undertake partnership working sometimes I think that these partnership can be unwieldy and unfocused. In the case of East Port House a variety of councils pay for the service but all the staff work for Dundee City Council. This gives clear lines of leadership and accountability and I think that we should reflect on this.