Scrutiny Committee Meeting 29 July 2009

The first meeting of the City Council's Scrutiny Committee was held on 29th July to see the agenda click here. The agenda included a number of HMIe reports on schools. This generally reflected the hard work of pupils and staff across the city. There were a few concerns about issues such as the level of PE in primary schools.

I raised my concern that the Child Protection Report had not made its way onto the agenda of the Scrutiny Committee. I was informed by the Chief Executive that this would not happen which I felt was against the remit of the committee. The Convener, my colleague Kevin Keenan, suggested that he expected to see the Child Protection Report at the scrutiny committee.

I think that it is essential that the people of Dundee can have confidence in child protection. As elected members I think that we must do everything in our power to ensure that we protect Dundee's children. We cannot offer definitive guarantees that every child in Dundee is safe but we must do everything we can to protect Dundee's children.