Councillor writes to Minister over HMO signs

4 May 2009

Dundee West End Councillor Richard McCready is to write to the Scottish Housing Minister Alex Neil to raise his concerns about unfairness in the size of signsused to advertise HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) properties for rent and the size of the signs used to advertise that an HMO licence has been applied for.

Councillor McCready raised the issue recently at the City Council'sLicensing Committee and was told that the City Council was powerless in the situation.

Councillor Richard McCready said, 'The licensing of HMO properties is good, it improves standards and goes some way to promoting safety both for the HMO occupants and their neighbours.

"My constituents in the West End have concernsabout HMOs, they often complain to me that they were unaware that a licence hadbeen applied for.

"Applicants do not have to inform neighbours that they have applied for a licence and they are only obliged to place an A4 form on display on or near the property.

"Many constituents have pointed out to me that whensuch properties are advertised for rent then much bigger and bolder signs are used.

"I agree with my constituents who say to me that this is unfair andsuggest that HMOs should be forced to use the same size of sign to apply for a licence and to advertise the property for rent.

''I raised the issue with Marlyn Glen MSP and she has provided me with confirmation that the City Council is powerless to change this situation.

"Iwill be contacting Alex Neil MSP the Scottish Housing Minister to ask that theScottish Government has a look at this situation and takes up my suggestion.

"Ithink that for local people to have confidence in the licensing system theyneed to feel that the system is transparent at all times.

"Local people lack confidence in the system because there is no need to notify them that a licence has been applied for, neighbours are only officially notified after the HMO licence has been granted.

"Other similar situations such as planningapplications or applications for drinks licences require neighbour notification.

"I hope that Alex Neil will have a look at this situation and agree with me that in the interests of fairness something should be done.

"I think my proposal that the size of the signs advertising that an HMO licence has been applied for and advertising the property for rent should be the same size isfair.

"I want fairness for my constituents in the West End."